Residency Requirements

A marriage may only be dissolved by a court with jurisdiction. In order for a court to have jurisdiction, at least one spouse must be a resident of California for at least six months and be a resident of the county where the proceeding is filed for at least three months before filing the petition. This requirement is sometimes confused with the six month “cooling off” period, which requires that the marital status generally cannot be changed until six months after the court obtains jurisdiction. Family Code § 2339(a).

The three month/six month rule is important to note because a spouse moving to California from another state wishing to file for dissolution proceedings in Californiamay have to travel to the other spouses jurisdiction (or jurisdiction of original marriage,) if they do not file and serve the petition first. This requirement does not apply to legal separations, nullity proceedings, or dissolution of domestic partnerships.

Get In Touch With Our Law Firm

  • Privacy Policy

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Rice & Rice, Attorneys at Law

3800 Orange Street, Suite 280 Riverside,CA 92501 Phone: 951-683-2297 Fax: 866-702-4011

Riverside Law Office Map

best divorce lawyer in riverside 2020 badges-1 badges-8 badges-2 badges-4 Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.